Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
u excited about it. Bu
NEWPORT, R.I. -- Lindsay Davenport remembers picking up a tennis racket as a child and the feeling that came with the ease of a powerful return. After giving up on two other sports, she found something she liked. On Saturday, she reached her sports highest honour, with her induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame. Davenport spent 98 weeks ranked No. 1. She won the 1998 U.S. Open, 1999 Wimbledon, 2000 Australian Open and 1996 Olympic gold medal to go with three major doubles titles. She finished the end of four years ranked No. 1. Chris Evert was among those at the ceremony. The tennis great described Davenports game as "so loud, so strong and aggressive." Davenport entered the hall with five-time Paralympic medallist Chantal Vandierendonck in the recent player category, coach Nick Bollettieri, executive Jane Brown Grimes, and broadcaster John Barrett in the contributor category. "Hitting the ball and making contact was always something that came very natural to me," Davenport said. "It was a blessing. It happened at a very young age. I didnt realize that it was that hard to do and I had a special talent, and it took a long time to put that altogether. "Thats what made it so fun to me, the sound, and what I could do with the shots, and see how hard I could hit them. Everything else about the game took work and was a struggle, but that was something and that was the reason why I fell in love with it." She was presented by friend and former ATP pro Justin Gimelstob, who played against her at a clinic. The 82-year old Bollettieri has coached 10 players to the No. 1 ranking, including Andre Agassi, Jim Courier, Monica Seles and Boris Becker. In 1978, he founded the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy, the first full-time tennis boarding school in the U.S. "The older you get, its not the (age), but what you have here," he said, touching his chest near his heart. Vandierendonck was a top Dutch player before she was injured in a car accident in 1983. Shes the first woman wheelchair player inducted. Brown Grimes is a former managing director of the Womens Professional Tennis Council (now known as the WTA Board), president of the U.S. Tennis Association, and president of the International Tennis Hall of Fame. Barrett was the "Voice of Wimbledon" on the BBC from 1971-2006. His wife, former top-ranked player Angela Mortimer Barrett, was inducted into the hall in 1993. Agassi and Steffi Graf are the only other married couple in the hall. David Bakhtiari Super Bowl Jersey .K. Subban and Matt Duchene will be the two skaters sitting out the teams opening game. Custom Packers Super Bowl Jerseys .com) - Rajon Rondo turned in a game-high 21 points to go with eight rebounds and seven assists as Dallas claimed a 102-98 win over the Lakers on Friday. https://www.packersrookiestore.com/Packe...ms-Jersey/ .Y. -- The "for sale" sign is up at the Buffalo Bills with the hiring of financial and legal advisers who may begin talking with prospective buyers within the next month. Josh Jackson Super Bowl Jersey . -- Packers cornerback Tramon Williams has been fined $26,250 for contact with an official, per NFL guidelines. Tony Brown Super Bowl Jersey . -- Shanshan Feng was alone in her opinion about the pin positions in the Kraft Nabisco Championship.Bubba Watson hopes an inspirational talk can help him claim at least one victory in three of the most important weeks of his season. Watson tees off in the PGA Championship at Baltusrol on Thursday and then plays in the Travelers Championship, an event close to his heart, before flying off to Rio to take part in the Olympic Games in the middle of August.The left-hander, along with Olympic team-mates Patrick Reed, Matt Kuchar and Rickie Fowler, spoke with Winter Olympic gold medalist Dan Jansen to get some idea of what they can expect next month. He won speed-skating gold in 1994, six years after his sister Jane - who inspired him to take up the sport - died from leukaemia.Jansens is a story that resonates with Watson, whose father Gerry died in 2010 after a battle with throat cancer and was the inspiration behind his own charity ventures.Dan, hes a legend. When you look at Olympic sports, hes a legend for America, Watson said. Some of the things that he battled, he talked about what he battled.Not just winning. Who cares about winning a medal? Just what he battled trying to get there, what he battled in family life and things like that. It was pretty amazing to hear his stories and how he came through it.And then when you saw some of the videos that they showed us, and then trying on all the clothes, we became little kids real fast. Cant wait to get there. Because just talking to a legend like that and watching some of the videos, it was pretty special. Watson hopes to have been inspired by a talk from Winter Olympian Dan Jansen Hes there to cheer you up and get you excited about it. But were all four of us pretty passionate about it. Any time you can play and represent your country to that higher level, its pretty special.Watsons packed schedule sees him move north to River Highlands for the Travelers, an event he has won twice, and then fly to Brazil for the first Olympic golf tournament in 112 years, but he is not daunted. To whet your appetite ahead of next weeks US PGA Championship, heres a look at ten of the best shots played at the tournament Im missing the opening ceremony of the Olympics because of the Travelers, because it means so much to my family.dddddddddddd Travelers did so much for me and my family, outside of my dad, because what people dont realise is what goes on behind closed doors, when it comes to cancer like that, he added.Obviously the person that has cancer is in trouble but, at the same time, so is your family; my mom had a man there for 42 years and then he passed away. So Travelers is always going to be very special to me. So thats first.And then obviously here, who doesnt want to win here. And then the Olympics. We dont know what to expect, playing for our country. My dad was in Vietnam, I love giving back to the military. So the Olympics, having the flag on my shoulder, or me representing the flag, United States of America, is very special.But we dont know what to expect there. Here we know what to expect when you win a major or to win Travelers, but when it comes to Olympics, nobody knows. I havent talked to anybody from 112 years ago. Also See: Stenson not sitting back Who to back at Baltusrol Ways to watch the PGA Nearly men of the majors ' ' '