Has anyone traveled to Norway, specifically Bergen or Flam?

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
So, I have a Scandinavian extravaganza coming up in the next few weeks. Near the end of it we are spending 2 2/3rd days in Bergen Norway. The spouse wants to take nearly a day of our time going to another village in Norway called Flam, and to scedule a really beautiful kayak experience there on the fjords. The problem I see is the train ride (scenic) there and back takes 7 hours total and the kayak is 3 hours. Plus another hour to two shopping and eating.

So... Does anyone have any experience in this area of Norway? I could go either way, but if there is any advice I am all ears.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Only if they accept the Norwegian Kroner. 🤣
In Bergen County they’ll take whatever you have. I mean that literally. Watch your wallets and purses.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hopefully this guy weighs in, as he’s a Scandinavian native.

1713374271684.jpeg

MacPoulet

Reaction score
Went to Bergen last year to visit a friend. Beautiful city and were fortunate with 25 degree weather. By the harbour is a collection of brightly painted wood buildings, it’s like a UNESCO site, and if you climb up the mountain (or take the cable car) there are some nice walking paths and a lake with free canoes.

oh, make sure to try the brown cheese!

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Went to Bergen last year to visit a friend. Beautiful city and were fortunate with 25 degree weather. By the harbour is a collection of brightly painted wood buildings, it’s like a UNESCO site, and if you climb up the mountain (or take the cable car) there are some nice walking paths and a lake with free canoes.

oh, make sure to try the brown cheese!
Thank you for the cheese tip. I cannot wait for the trip to happen, just a few more weeks away.

MacPoulet

Reaction score
Thank you for the cheese tip. I cannot wait for the trip to happen, just a few more weeks away.
I can ask my friend who lives in Bergen for some specific questions if you have any. Some other things I remember:

• The train from the airport was quite affordable.
  • To take the municipal train, you can use your credit card to buy a ticket simply by tapping it on the NFC reader, but you won't get a receipt which made me worry (I later saw the deduction when I looked at my statement).
  • The Habour area is a tourist hotspot and definitely check it out. They have some really nice fish markets, and reindeer sausage is pretty popular.
  • Bryggen is the name of that UNESCO heritage site and it's at the harbour. They're like the first buildings there (that haven't already burned down).
  • The Floibanen funicular is what we took to get to the top of the mountain. When you're there, they have lots of nice trails around a lake and a troll park for the kids. Oh, and they also have free range goats!
  • If you're staying at a hotel, the breakfasts are something special. I have food allergies and was easily able to find something to eat.
tempImageXmesXD.pngtempImageNpIow1.pngtempImagesZPAUx.pngtempImagegfjMWd.png

Top Bottom
1 2