M3 core counts and performance

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Those of you lucky enough to have your hands on the iPad Pro M4 can you tell me if the screen quality improvements are significantly better relative to older M1/M2 iPad Pro mini-led screens?
In my opinion, not really. Primarily I notice a difference when viewing movies with light on-dark, like the star wars crawling opening text. No blooming!

Color rendition seems more or less the same. Brightness during the day didn’t seem any different to me -I literally had both ipads on my kitchen table for a few hours while I was setting them up. I was also working on my mac. A few times when I looked up from my mac I had trouble telling the two ipads apart, and had to look at the keyboards to remind myself which was which. Brightness at night, weirdly enough, seems much brighter (at max) on the new one, but, of course, max brightness at night isn’t all that useful.

Keep in mind my vision is not what it was even 5 years ago, so I could be missing something that someone with better vision might appreciate.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
However the bit that caught my attention was when you mentioned that because Apple doesn’t sell to the open market and only buys for themselves, that this puts Apple at an advantage paradoxically.

Do you mind walking me through your thought process on this one as to why you think this puts Apple at an advantage, I’d like to understand a little more?
I’d have thought that having higher volume orders in general (even for mixed node orders) would give Apples competitors a cost advantage as they would have economies of scale on their side relative to the low volume orders of say Apple etc…

Thanks for initiating this conversation, it's an interesting one!

My argument is very simple: if making high-performance chips is going to become more expensive in the future, Apple is in advantage because they cut out the middleman. They can easily afford spending hundreds of $$$ per chip on design and manufacture, whereas Intel and AMD need to sell chips with profits. Another factor is that Apple devices are expensive, and users buy them. Nobody bats an eye anymore at a $3000-4000 MacBook Pro. A Dell XPS at that price level won't sell. Not to mention that the nature of the business is very different. Most of the chips Intel sells are low-performance, budged CPUs. Most of the chips Intel makes money with are high-end, enthusiast or server CPUs which are sold at tremendous margin. This is a difficult business model to balance, and this is why Intel uses binning so aggressively, selling the same CPU dies at very different price points. That is very unlike Apple, which value performance consistency across their CPUs.

Regarding volumes, I think you might be underestimating how much chips Apple actually produces. Intel has reportedly shipped around 50 million CPUs in 2023. Nvidia and AMD have shipped around 70 million GPUs to the customers. But Apple has shipped over 200 million (!!!) in iPhones alone. It is no surprise that they routinely book entire production capacity of TSMC. So I see no financial disadvantage on the count of low volume orders. If anything, they have to apply very careful production management to make sure there is enough production to satisfy their needs (which is likely the main reason why we only see M4 on the iPad now).

And finally, new developments in SoC packaging can enable performance improvements that Apple with their deep pockets can easily access, and which might be less economically viable for other companies. For example, Apple currently has a disadvantage in GPU performance, since faster GPUs require larger dies. Nvidia can afford making a huge die filled with GPU compute logic. But Apple also needs to fit the CPU, I/O and other IP blocks. As die size approaches reticle limit and costs increase, this imposes a hard boundary of what Apple can do. However, if they split the IP blocks into multiple dies and stack them together on a single package, they can break past that limit. I have little doubt that Apple will be the first one to build a high-performance 3D stacked SoC. They have been working on that technology for years, their patents in that field are the most advanced, and they closely work with TSMC to make this happen. I think we will see chips like these in a few years.

casperes1996

Power User
Reaction score
I was going to report on this. My M2 ipad pro definitely gets warm and toasty. So far the M4, doing the same mixed workload, is always cool to the touch.
Huh; I would've expected it to be hotter externally to facilitate it being cooler internally. A very thin device with a copper Apple logo and more cooling system to spread the heat across the chassis of the device. I was under the impression that the way they improved cooling was to spread the heat more throughout the exterior of the device's body and frame.
I wouldn't be surprised if it can also just operate at lower heat levels, but when asked o work hard I would get the total surface area would get warmer though perhaps less concentrated than M2.
My A12X iPad Pro mainly gets warm below the camera when I use it intensively. Opposite site barely heats up at all

Top Bottom
1 2