M3 Max ... it's the little things ... like heat!

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
Some interesting findings based on a recent ML pc build (AMD 7950x3d and rx7900XTX) and comparing with my MacBook Pro M3 Max.
I'm finding myself coming back to the M3 Max far more often in my home office this week than the PC. We had a temperature shift from -10 celsius to +17 celsius this week.
This week the in office temperature is 24 celcius.... the PC is not particularly loud but boy oh boy is it hot in here from all the heat given off when I peg the CPU and GPU (playing with ROCm)!

By comparison my MacBook Pro M3 Max is cool as a cucumber and the room is a much much nicer place to be when doing multiple workloads.

Of course I knew that the PC put out more heat before I purchased, I just had not actually factored that all of that heat goes into an unpleasantly small office without a window. It's like a sauna in here - perhaps on the bright side I'll lose a few pounds!
M3 Max for the comfortable office win!

KingOfPain

Site Champ
Reaction score
There were whole weeks in a hot summer, when I didn't want to even turn on my old Mac Pro, because the room as quite warm to being with, but quickly turned into a sauna, as you write.

My Macbook Air M1 most likely dissipates even less heat than an M3 Max, thus it is mostly cool.
One disadvantage in winter: I actually have to turn on the heater in that room. With the Mac Pro, all it took was to run that computer for half an hour and the room was toasty warm.

Top Bottom
1 2